Robust analytics and actionable data.
We know our results inform important investment decisions our clients make about their energy resources. Every day, we collaborate with clients to ensure they receive accurate, actionable analyses they can have confidence in.
Geoscientists, Engineers & Laboratory Technicians
Years of Experience
Presence in different countries
We help you discern what matters most to you. Precisely. In detail.
ROUTINE CORE ANALYSIS
Rock and fluid samples provide a direct link to your reservoir or source rock. With decades of skill and expertise spread across the globe, our laboratory services play a pivotal role in reservoir completion strategies. With production success increasingly dependent on what is known about a reservoir, laboratory analyses help quantify the unknown and reduce risk. The result is better wells with improved recovery and overall economics. We offer a complete suite of Routine Core Analysis services including:
- Core gamma
- CT scanning
- Fluid saturation determination
- Customized core cleaning
- Full diameter analysis
- Particle size analysis
- Core preparation
- Profile permeability
- Miscible extraction
- Sidewall core analysis (percussion & rotary)
- Laser grain size analysis
- Sieve analysis
- Grain density
- Bulk density
- Salinity analysis
- Scratch testing
- Hyperspectral imaging
- Fast track analysis
Our diverse core imaging capabilities allow the understanding of the rock fabric from the visual to the microscopic scale. Beyond data, we provide upscaling and interpretation for better reservoir characterization.
Many of these datasets can be viewed through our proprietary software, RockView. This complimentary software allows you to visualize, interrogate and understand image datasets. As an example, you can slice, dice, color and understand your whole core CT data in a brand-new way.
Stratum Reservoir imaging capabilities include:
- Dual Energy Computed Tomography (DECT)
- High resolution white light and UV
- 360° circumferential
- Inventory format
- Hyperspectral imaging
- Micro CT
- High-resolution thin section mosaics
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Focused Ion Beam (FIB)
- Field Emission Environmental (Environmental SEM)
- QEMSCAN Automated Mineralogy
Petrographic evaluations provide direct measurements of total mineralogy (whole rock and clay types), texture, and pore types. This data is essential to establishing depositional environment, diagenetic history, and identifying low resistivity pay zones and other anomalous log responses. When appraising hydrocarbon reservoirs, rock and fluid samples represent the ground truth.
Our services include:
- X-ray diffraction (XRD)
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF)
- Thin section preparation
- Thin section petrography
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- Integrated studies
- Core and fracture description
We also offer interpretive and advisory services for deeper insight and understanding.
SPECIAL CORE ANALYSIS
Our services also inform your well construction and production decisions to enable long term production optimization and profitability. Beyond routine core analysis, we offer an array of specialized core analyses including:
- Electrical Properties
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)
- Capillary Pressure
- Flow through porous media
- Relative Permeability
- Formation Damage
- Improved/Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Water Injection
- Gas Injection
- Rock Mechanics
Stratum Reservoir offers complete analytical services in the field of geochemistry. These services include the analyses and interpretation of detailed source rock evaluation (pyrolysis, TOC, and maturity assessments). Additional services include bulk properties, high-resolution gas chromatography, biomarker analysis by gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GCMS), and compound specific stable isotope analysis for oils, extracts and gases. Analytical results can be applied in many ways ranging from simple assessment of oil and gas quality to basin-wide characterization, assessment of reservoir compartmentalization and production allocation.
RESERVOIR FLUID SERVICES
Full-service fluid analysis is a robust and comprehensive tool to understand the characteristics of produced hydrocarbons over time to optimize production. We have extensive experience working with all phases of fluids. Our studies provide composition, phase behavior, flow assurance and chemical stability.
Stratum Reservoir fluid laboratories include:
- PVT Services and cells
- Flow Assurance
- Water Analysis
Our services include:
- Gas condensate PVT
- High Pressure, High Temperature (HTHP)
- PhaseFX 15
- Volatile oil PVT
- Black oil PVT
- Heavy oil PVT
- Scaling potential
- Inhibitor evaluation
- EOS modeling
- Surface/downhole sampling and sample transfer services
- EOR testing
- Live fluid preparation
- Chromatography for liquid and gas analysis
- H2S capabilities
- Integrated PVT and geochemical analysis
- Sample storage
FULL EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE TESTING
- C6/C7+ natural gas stream analysis in accordance with standard GPA-2261
- Extended natural gas stream analysis in accordance with standard GPA-2286
- Extended hydrocarbon liquid stream analysis in accordance with standard GPA-2186
- Hydrocarbon Flash Liberation Studies in accordance with peer-reviewed proprietary analytical standard that Stratum has adopted
- Water Chemistry, dissolved and fixed gases, BTEX, and δ13C and other isotopic analyses
To continually monitor the integrity of a gas storage unit and to determine if a well outside the storage field is producing storage gas, Stratum helps field operators understand the natural gas isotopic composition (the “gas fingerprint”) of the storage gas in the storage field and the naturally occurring “native gas” found outside the storage unit. We help field operators:
- Periodically obtain isotopic data and analyses on injection and withdrawal gases
- Accurately predict the range of gas composition and production across the storage field and beyond
- Serve as expert witnesses to either party during litigation related to storage field integrity
DISSOLVED GAS SCREENING AND COMPLETE GAS FINGERPRINTING
Expedited Dissolved Gas Screening and pre-determined concentration thresholds for full fingerprinting provides fast, reliable compositional data from VOA vials or IsoFlasksTM.
- Single sample screening and full compositions to reduce multiple samples and shipments
- Screening costs credited to the full fingerprinting analysis package when threshold limits met
BRADENHEAD GAS TESTING
Undesired surface casing pressure (SfCP) can indicate well integrity issues. Isotopic similarities/differences between production gas and bradenhead gas determines the source of any stray gas in order to implement a suitable solution.
Whether a casing leak, faulty cement bond, or an unknown intermediate gas source, high precision isotopic fingerprinting is the most cost-effective solution to SfCP issues.
STRAY HYDROCARBON IDENTIFICATION
Isotech scientists pioneered the use of isotopic analysis for stray gas identification and developed techniques now considered the industry standard. The stable isotopes of methane (13C and δD) can provide information on the mechanism of formation. Stable isotope analysis can help to determine whether a gas is biogenic or thermogenic.
- Fire and explosion investigations – differentiating gas sources
- Identifying pipeline leaks
- Identifying gas that has leaked from underground gas storage reservoirs
- Monitoring groundwater quality in areas of energy production
ROUTINE GROUNDWATER TESTING
- Nitrogen and oxygen isotopes are used to identify the source of elevated nitrate concentration in natural water and to study the extent of denitrification.
- Tritium and radiocarbon analyses to determine the age of groundwater supplies and to evaluate how well protected they are from surface contamination — radiocarbon and stable isotopes have been used to study past environments and paleoclimates.
- Detailed ionic compositions of water are run using IC and ICP analysis to determine all major and trace elements present in groundwater.
We handle and process your samples to your specifications, ensuring your samples are properly managed to yield precise laboratory results. Our field operations include the following services and equipment:
- Mud Tracing (tritium, deuterium, and other tracers)
- Core processing units
- Canister desorption
- Pneumatic band saws
- Pneumatic lifting arm (RocKlaw)
- Temperature controlled transport containers (RockVaults)
- Core gamma logging
- Core plugging
- Core preservation
- Sample photography on location
- Pressure core analysis
- Core transport
- Gas & fluids sampling
- Mobile Laboratories
- Cuttings analysis
Data Management Services
Stratum Reservoir understands how valuable your samples are and how critical the data obtained from them is to your initiative. Visibility into the entire process is key. Your dedicated project manager will be there for you through the life of your analytical program.
In collaboration with your team, we help design a program that meets your expectations from extraction to interpretation. You can inspect our facilities, interview our team, explore the tools, software and technology we utilize, or simply have a cup of coffee with us.
A few of our services include:
- Dedicated Project Managers & Advisors
- Private and access-controlled core viewing rooms
- Secure web-based data portal
- Sample storage – ambient and temperature controlled
- Long term sample preservation
- ISO Certified Laboratories
Interpretive & Advisory Services
We have a wealth of reference data, domain knowledge and extensive experience that guides and informs our interpretation of the various analyses we conduct. Our intimate knowledge of:
- Global plays and basins
- Reservoir analogs
- Production allocation
- Reservoir continuity
- EOR and IOR
coupled with our global experience and expertise are the primary reasons why interpretation and advisory solutions by Stratum Reservoir are so valuable.
Our subsurface team’s objective is to transform rock, fluid and petrophysical datasets into risk-reducing reservoir decisions. Experienced subject matter experts collaborate with your team designing workflows for resource evaluation; geochemical interpretation; petrophysical modeling; and reservoir optimization.
Our global network of laboratories and experts offers analytical and interpretive services ranging from the simple assessment of gas quality to basin-wide characterization of oil-source rock correlations, assessment of reservoir compartmentalization and production allocation.
Oil and gas exploration risk can be significantly reduced by integrating information derived from geochemistry, geology and engineering. OilTracers, a Stratum Reservoir brand, can help design and interpret geochemical data for:
- Mud gas isotope logging
- Source and reservoir geochemical and geological integration
- Sweet spot identification in heavy oil columns
- Viscosity prediction
- Unconventional producibility studies
- Identifying bypass pay zone
- Reservoir continuity and compartmentalization
FIELD DEVELOPMENT AND PRODUCTION
As leaders in production allocation and reservoir continuity interpretive services, our staff can help determine with high precision the origin of gas and fluids through the application of time-lapse geochemistry.
- High resolution gas chromatography and mass spectrometry interpretation
- Production allocation
- Reservoir continuity
- PVT and flow assurance
- Water management
Geochemical interpretation methods are vital tools to solve environmental challenges related to field abandonment, post-exploration, and post-production settings such as:
- Environmental site assessment
- Landfill gasses fingerprinting
- Behind casing leaks identification
When subjected to rigorous testing, rock samples can accurately describe depositional environment, quantify reservoir quality, improve reservoir modeling and provide accurate reserve estimates. Armed with this analysis, the client can make a more-informed decision about the field’s short- and long-term development, whether in the early stages of appraising a prospect, developing a promising region, or exploiting an identified or existing field.
Our interpretive services include full in-house capabilities for:
- Petrographic analysis
- Fracture analysis
Thin section analyses ultimately benefit the client by providing accurate information about rock types, depositional environment, and diagenesis of the reservoir for both crystalline and noncrystalline (amorphous) materials. We create all our thin sections in house, controlling quality and turn around. In addition, we have a team of trained geologists that QC each slide to ensure the highest possible quality.
The objective of sedimentological studies is to appraise the size and shape of a reservoir. These appraisals give geometric context to laboratory measurements and ground-truth subsurface geophysics data. Fractures can act as both a conduit as well as a barrier to hydrocarbon migration. Understanding the nature of fractured reservoir rocks is paramount to ensuring the largest return on investment for your wells.